You may not think so, but there are countless options out there when it comes to garage doors. But how do you know which option is best for you? Is it better to put more weight on one factor over another? The reality is that homeowners often make mistakes when selecting their new garage door. In this post, we will go over the top mistakes to avoid.
- Failing to abide by building laws – Before you get entrenched in the process, be sure to consult your local council regarding building restrictions. Some homeowners’ associations may require approval prior to getting started. The last thing you want is to spend all sorts of time and money on new garage door installation, only to realize it wasn’t done in accordance with neighborhood building laws.
- Letting price be the determining factor – You’re probably aware of the saying “You get what you pay for.” That’s especially true in the garage door industry. Though we tend to forget about its importance, a working garage door keeps us safe. Not to mention, they carry even greater importance in this area, where hurricanes are prevalent. It’s a good idea to first look for a garage door that best suits your requirements and then shop around for a good price. Keep in mind that cheaper garage doors are unlikely to last, which is why more homeowners are investing in a high-quality product right from the start.
- Not taking Florida climate into account – It’s critical to know that the replacement of garage doors, exterior doors, skylights, operative and inoperative windows must be designed and constructed in accordance with Chapter 16 of the new Florida code. Though this may be one extra step to take, it’s in place to ensure the safety of your home and, most importantly, your family.
- Opting for lesser quality brands – This ties in a bit with the second point. Again, not all garage door products are the same. When homeowners begin their research, they’re often overwhelmed at the selection. You can feel comfortable knowing that Hurricane Garage Doors only offers products from the top manufacturers such as LiftMaster, Clopay, GENIE, Amarr, and CRAFTSMAN. So keep these brands top-of-mind as you narrow down your choices.
- Undervaluing installation – At this point, you’ve picked out your new garage door. Should you try to save money by installing it on your own? It seems reasonable, however, many homeowners put their safety at risk when turning their garage door installation into a DIY project. A lot of folks fail to realize that their garage door is a fairly complicated mechanism that can cause bodily harm. That’s why it’s best to leave this final step in the hands of a trusted garage door company.
Our Experienced Garage Door Company
There’s no doubt that it can be stressful trying to find high-quality garage doors online without any industry knowledge. At Hurricane Garage Doors, we make it easy. We’ve been providing residential garage doors, as well as commercial garage doors for 15 years. From repairs and installation to everything in between, our team has you covered.
Don’t put yourself in a bind with your new garage door. Give us a call today for your free consultation.